Monday, March 31, 2014

What's Love Got To Do With B-Wood Movies???

I AM BACK, I AM BACK…. Don’t get me wrong. I am not trying to index the saucy dance and produce half-hearted latkas and thumkas that KJo was able to pull off with such a (feminine) grace. Just that, it’s been a long time since I last posted on my blog. But as you know, the routine, time-worned life is so taxing and contains your free will K


Well, this one is something about what’s the discussed extensively in the Koffee show. The films. Yes, I have been a posting a lot of critical (seemingly harsh) opinions pertaining to the same on the social media. And being critical, I myself have been critiqued and reprimanded boldly (wrongly, many-a-times). But what goes unnoticed is that there are a lot of commendable productions that have hit the screens in recent times, which I have relished and praised. This, however, cannot enfeeble the fact that a myriad are, simply put, garbage material. And because of numerous reasons.

What pains me the most is that the fact that the base of almost all Hindi movie is a banal hetero love story, and the entire 120 minutes are wasted revolving around their over-convoluted, tortuous, however chimerical, daily routines. A real time simulacrum to this would be going to the same restaurant forever, with the same dishes being served. Where nothing but the ambiance and the pretty waiters’ new. Isn’t that revolting? Well, thus I say, so are most of the bollywood movies. Appeasing aberrations are always welcomed in life, but it does not seem to be the case here. Same old clichéd thing being thrown at us, almost like a rusty hacksaw being rubbed with the toothed edge against our imagination. Even worse, chances are that the foundation, scenes (or in nauseating cases, the entire dialogue set) are derived from some random/well known Hollywood, or maybe even movies from the same fraternity. I need not bother give examples to assert this. It feels like being cheated to pay for a movie which is not entirely original, whose essence one can absorb by watching the original one movie. These questions are virtuously reasonable. Having said that, I would definitely mention movies like Highway, Hasee toh Phasee, Gangs of Wasseypur, even low budget movies like Total Siyappa which have struck a different chord in the dilapidated B-town presentations, and save the day.












I am not trying to patronize, but take a look at THEIR movies. The Hollywood rather produces the stinking piles once in a blue moon’s time. Even their primary agenda is to stage and elicit love, but with a twist or in a multi-faceted manner. Recently, I watched the movie “The Book Thief”. Though based on a novel (a third of work already done there), the portrayal is something one may have never experienced. A variety of emotions, ranging from brotherly love, parental love, calf-love, apprehension, elation etc are so meticulously and fluently stitched together to produce an artistic master-piece to be adored by all. Others, like the movie “The Help”, are based on such trivial topics. Such a simple, yet affective movie recreating first-hand accounts of injustice during the apartheid reign.














To conclude, many may object to my opinions. I have personally faced strong opposition by people who take my impressions to heart, considering it as the penultimate judgment (maybe). Well, love me or hate me, I stick to my stance. It is debatable as to who is to blame more, the creators to make such films mostly out of greed or ignorance, or the audience for willingly paying for it (and the overpriced snacks) without giving it a thought. Though I believe there is great potential in the current and upcoming lot to revive the untended state of Hindi Cinema and bring it up to the mark, it needs to be channelized in an effective manner. After all, it’s one of the biggest film industry in this world J

No comments:

Post a Comment